Friday 4 January 2013


Away from serious life: life with 2 chickens

The chickens have been living at our home for three days. They are a bit more familiar with the surroundings now. It was really amazing to watch how they stick together and walk together slowly towards the back of the garden, discovering their new home. I cut the edges of their wings to prevent them from flying, so they are safe to be left in the garden all day.

Bebs, my darling nephew, is so keen on playing with them. Yesterday, it was very difficult to take him away from the garden after we put the chicken in their hut to sleep. He kept “speaking” and pulling me to open the garden door. After sometime, I understood his speech and signs (he is learning sign language as a way to help him to express himself and to speak). Ka ka okh okh : chicken went to sleep!

He was upset that when he threw the ball at the chickens, they ran away instead of playing with him. He reminded me of when my daughter was his age, crying in Trafalgar Square when the pigeons refused to play with her and flew away every time she came near. It seemed like only last week that we were in London-how time flies! Actually nearly every time I see her, a mature young woman, I wonder where my lovely baby have gone!

Oh, I nearly forgot the big excitement today, Sheko (Bebs’ older brother) found an egg today in the chicken’s hit- a fat brown egg. I will cook it for my daughter and the 2 boys to share- their very first home grown organic egg!

Since my daughter was born, we spent every holiday at home in Egypt. Em, my daughter enjoyed her grandmother’s looking after the chickens and eating fresh eggs. My mum would buy tiny new born chicks and name them after her children and grandchildren. Being the first grandchild, Em enjoyed lavish affection of her grandparents. They still occupy an important place in her life.

I must dash now to pick Bebs from kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment